Letter Create has always been a business based on gathering community for learning, creating, and crafting. Gathering for workshops, classes, and retreats in our studio, in Milwaukee’s Third Ward, in Madison’s Barriques and Cafe Domestique, and more.
Two years ago I attended the Philadelphia Pen Show with my Aunt and Cousin. We went to the show, got a few pens, and then we ventured all over Philadelphia hitting every single stationery, gift, and pen store we could find. I walked into every one of those stores and my vision for my business changed. I wished and prayed and hoped for one day having a stationery and gift store. Where I taught classes and where I sold things that I loved. I came home and spent about 2 months completely re-writing my business plan. This vision included a retail store. Then I shelved it and talked about it for the last two years, not thinking that it was actually something within my reach.
Then in the winter of 2019, I started exploring opportunities and found that this was not completely out of reach for me. I researched and explored all avenues and ideas and finally found an ideal location – actually I narrowed it down to two locations. The first location was a super cute consignment store in a house but the issue was no parking and I could not figure out a layout for my classes (my goal was to increase the class size from my studio downtown – which was at 12/14) and that would have been unachievable in a house set up with rooms scattered. The second location offered a full build-out to my specifications and an occupancy certificate that would allow me to increase my class size (this was before Covid-19). I was able to legally establish my business with the proper and legal occupancy certificate, business classification, and meeting the requirements of my insurance company and the village. My goal then was to open my store in April of 2020.
THEN the pandemic happened and it seems every day new rules, science, data, and information comes out. Some of it is promising but some of it is scary.
We have had (in my state) restrictions in place, the school canceled, businesses closed and then they were lightly lifted to 5 people and then yesterday it was anything could be opened – just go for it.
So it has left me with what should I do about the beautiful space I now have? What should I do about my business I worked so hard to build? I have gone over tons of ideas.
Here is the plan for Letter Create – going forward:
- Virtual Classes and Workshops Will Continue Through March of 2021 for Adults
- supplies can be self-provided or you can order supplies for curbside pick up or shipped to you.
- Click Here For Our Current Schedule For Adults
- Virtual Classes and Workshops Will Continue Through March of 2021 For Kids and Teens
- OutSchool – I will be teaching a handful of classes through Outschool – they have vetted me with background screenings and audits to my courses – Click Here To Learn More at OutSchool
- Sawyer – I will be teaching the majority of my Kids and Teen Classes and Virtual Summer Camps through the Sawyer Platform – Click Here For Our Current Schedule
- We will have a lot of our classes we already featured virtually on this platform as well.
- Virtual Calligraphy Course – Online (click here)
- We now have our Step 1 Basic for Lettering and Calligraphy completely online for $19.99
- You can upgrade during check out to get our Step 2 Class which includes over 1,000 Pages of Workbooks of 9 different fonts, instruction for brush, traditional and modern calligraphy.
Virtual Shopping Experiences including Virtual Pop Up Shops
Finally, we are offering virtual Opportunites to makers, artists, and crafters:
Opportunity 1: Online Creative Summit
Learn Create Online Creative SummitAll-inclusive art and craft retreat online for all ages and all experience levels. We will also have courses on how to expand your creativity to online business!We have joined with several artists and creatives to give you an online experience with different opportunities to learn how to expand your creativity and artistic skills.*Open to all ages*Open to all skill levels*Access To Replay The Summit*Upgrade to Get A Supply Kit and 12 Months of Creative Workbooks